LatherRinseRepeat--Yeah right

Ramblings of an over-worked, over-tired SAHM

Friday, October 19, 2007

Frozen Vajayjay

OK, so it wasn't exactly my vajayjay that got frozen, but close enough. I actually had a procedure called "Cryo-ablation" done on Tuesday. To make a long story short, I've had really heavy horrible periods lately and I had this done instead of getting a hysterectomy.

Basically, it's a procedure where they freeze the inside of your uterus to destroy the endometrial lining. My doctor did it as an in-office procedure and it wasn't too bad. He gave me toradol -both a pill and a shot - for cramping and valium to relax me before the procedure. That toradol shot hurt, almost like a tetanus shot but I just have to say, I can certainly see why so many people like valium so much, I was really relaxed. The whole thing took about 20 minutes. They insert this long, kinda scary looking probe in through the cervix using ultrasound for guidance and get it near the top corner of your uterus, then they turn it on. It pretty much forms a snowball in there as it freezes. They keep it there for 6 minutes. The weird thing is the machine talks. It states the temperature and how much time has elapsed. It's kinda weird hearing it say things like "3 minutes have elapsed, the temperature is minus 101 degrees celcius". After the 6 minutes, it tells the dr to hit the thaw button - they thaw the probe tip obviously so they aren't pulling the snowball out of you with it. Then they reposition the probe near the top corner of the uterus on the other side and freeze that side for 6 minutes. I'm probably not explaining it that well, but I was on valium at the time, so bear with me.

Afterwards, they had me go to the bathroom to make sure I could pee OK, especially since they said my bladder had to be at least half full for the procedure. Then they had me lie down in an exam room for a little while and checked my blood pressure to make sure I was ok before they let D drive me home. Laying in the exam room, I felt pretty crampy. They offered me another shot of toradol. No thank you!! The dr had given me a prescription for percocet, toradol and the valium when I went in to sign the consent forms so I had the percocet at home and figured I could bear it until I got home and took one.

I spent most of the rest of the day laying down, napping a bit. Getting up just to take a pill or two, go to the bathroom and eat a little. The dr said I could resume normal activity the next day, so I got up and went to work. I took a toradol in the morning, but by 10:30am it was clear that I wasn't ready to be back to work yet. So I went home, took a percocet and laid down. Within 30 minutes, I felt much better. By Thursday, I was almost back to normal and only took 2 toradols the whole day. Today, I still feel a little crampy but not bad enough to take anything for it.

Overall, assuming this takes care of the heavy painful periods - I'm still hoping to be in the 30% that don't have periods at all after this - I think it was worth doing this. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

5 Comments:

  • At 8:41 PM, Blogger zztop357 said…

    Naw, I'll take my total hyst, anyday. I bled for almost a year before giving up. Kept a infection since I started at age 9. Physical exam was normal,except for cyst on my overies. When they did surgery they found indrometrieous?sp?,overies size of coffee cups and uteris pushed up and folded over...and all grew together.
    I hope this does the trick for you...And you get everything back to normal :).
    Have a good weekend.
    God bless you and yours.
    Donna

     
  • At 11:29 PM, Blogger Granny said…

    All fingers and toes crossed. I hadn't heard of this procedure but that doesn't mean anything. There are many things I have never heard of.

    Good luck with it. I hope it works for you and I wish I'd had something like that 30 or so years ago.

     
  • At 8:01 AM, Blogger Marni said…

    Got 'em crossed!

    It sux to be a girl sometimes - guys are so flippen lucky.

     
  • At 4:14 PM, Blogger Ann said…

    Donna - I forgot to mention that all the tests they did prior to this came back normal. No cysts, no fibroids, endometrial biopsy, uterine u/s and thyroid were all normal, so there was no reason for this to be happening but it was. Sorry you went through so much before your hyst.

    Granny - thanks. I'm glad things have come so far that I had this as an option. I read somewhere that close to 70% of hysterectomies were unnecessary. Yikes!!

    Marni - thanks. You're right, guys have it way easier, but I'm still glad I'm a girl. LOL

     
  • At 12:01 PM, Blogger Biddie said…

    Wow. I have never heard of this. It sounds way less invasive then a hysterectomy. Less recuperation time, too.
    I have never heard of torodol, either. Is that for pain?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Free Site Counter