LatherRinseRepeat--Yeah right

Ramblings of an over-worked, over-tired SAHM

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

I Support the Supreme Court's Decision

Yes, I realize that isn't a popular opinion in blogland and I was going to keep quiet about how I feel to avoid conflict. But you know what? I don't have to keep quiet and if anyone wants to never read my blog again because of my beliefs, then welcome to the land of the free. Feel free to go away or feel free to stay, it's up to you.
Personally, I believe abortion is wrong. I could never do it, ever. I realize that's just me and other people have different beliefs but I'm glad today to live in a country where reasonable, thoughtful people can disagree. Will overturning Roe v. Wade be next? I sure hope so. I believe life is precious and it begins at conception and nothing anyone does or says is going to change that belief.
I know there are cases where people truly believe that abortion is necessary (i.e. rape, incest, danger to the life of the mother, etc.) but let's be real here. According to most statistics I was able to find, there are approximately 1,000,000 (1 MILLION!!!) abortions performed a year in this country. What percentage of those were because of rape, incest, or to save the life of the mother? I mean, seriously, come on, how many? Yeah, I don't know either, but I'd bet it was less than 5%, probably even less than 1%.
So we'd have to assume that MOST abortions are due to unused, misused, or failed birth control. Right? Well, maybe it's just me but it seems like the time to decide to decide whether or not you can afford, want or could support a baby is sometime before you get into bed and spread your legs. (Not trying to be crude, just realistic). What's wrong with abstinence? Or using reliable, even double protected, birth control if you are going to have sex? If you're on the pill, use a condom too, or contraceptive foam. If you're using a condom, use contraceptive foam also. Is it too much to ask for people to take responsibility for their choice to have sex?
I know my opinions probably aren't popular and won't be well received, but I don't care. I believe abortion is wrong and I won't hide that because it's not a popular opinion. If you don't like it, tough. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go shine my "Choose Life" license plate.

5 Comments:

  • At 3:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I can help but think you contradict yourself somewhat.
    "Personally, I believe abortion is wrong. I could never do it, ever. I realize that's just me and other people have different beliefs but I'm glad today to live in a country where reasonable, thoughtful people can disagree."
    So people can have different opinions and beliefs, but you would support a repeal of Roe V Wade which would have one group forcing their beliefs onto another group?

     
  • At 3:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    * can't help, even

     
  • At 8:45 AM, Blogger Ann said…

    I can see where you would think that's a contradiction, but I guess I meant that more as a way of leading into the next part of my post which talked about what alot of people would consider reasonable exceptions to allow abortion.
    As far as different beliefs being forced on others, that's already happening. I was over 35 when I had my last 2 children and when I went to the perinatologist, they tried to bully me into having an amnio. When I told them I didn't want an amnio and wouldn't abort regardless of the prognosis, I was reminded several times that decisions needed to be made before 24 weeks. Did I not make myself clear enough? Or is abortion so accepted that when there was the possibility of a poor prenatal diagnosis they didn't even listen to what I was saying? I truly believe I would have been pressured to abort if there were a stronger possibility than there was that there was something wrong with my babies. That's just wrong!! But somehow in this topsy-turvy world we live in, it's more wrong to be told you can't kill your baby than it is to be pressured into it?? WTH?!
    (One had a choroid plexus cyst and the other had echogenic foci on the heart - both are fine, by the way).

     
  • At 8:48 AM, Blogger Biddie said…

    Ok, time for my 2 cents.
    I am opposed to abortion. I have 3 kids, but I have had 5 miscarriages, and lost a baby at about 24 weeks. I never thought that I would ever be a mom, and the thought of an abortion pains me. I do realize that there are reasons for some woman to terminate a pregnancy - rape, danger to the mother, etc, but I think that abortion as a form of birth control is wrong. (this will probably not be a popular comment with some poeople)
    I know too many women that have had multiple abortions. It's just plain wrong. You can go to food bank or free clinic and get condoms. FREE. You could always choose NOT to have sex if you aren't prepared.
    My eldest daughter is 19, and she is still a virgin. (maybe for not much longer, but she is for now!) She has not had sex because she is not ready to be mom. She knows that that there is always a chance of that happening and she feels that if you are grown up enough to be intimate with someone, you should be prepared for any and all consequences.
    I wasn't that smart when I was her age - I was already a mom by then.
    Abortions are risky and invasive procedures. There is always a risk of infection or worse to the woman. How many woman CAN'T have kids now because of a botched abortion?
    I dunno. I guess that I'm rambling now...It just breaks my heart.

     
  • At 10:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I responded yesterday, but I think blogger ate it.
    *trying to remember what I said*

    Your doctor was wrong to pressure you. You had made your decision. If pro-choicers decided all the laws regarding prenatal care and abortion, your doctor would never be in a position to force you to have an abortion, even if you were dying or your baby was dying, or was going to be born with three heads. Even the most extreme pro-choicer would declare it your choice to continue a pregnancy.
    Extreme pro-lifers, on the other hand, would be all for forcing women to carry pregnancies no matter what the individual circumstances are.
    I don't think any pro-choice people are happy about large numbers of abortions being performed. Pro-choice doesn't equal pro-abortion, it just means that we see it as a such a complex situation that it is best left as a decision between a woman and her doctor.

    Unfortunately, some people use abortion as birth control. If someone is that irresponsible and immature to think that unprotected sex is a good idea because abortion is available, is that really the type of person we want to be a parent?
    It is easy to say if you are pregnant and don't want the baby: give it up for adoption. But we all know that so many people, for one reason or another, choose to parent a child that they don't want, to the detriment of the child who is unloved and often abused or neglected.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Free Site Counter