LatherRinseRepeat--Yeah right

Ramblings of an over-worked, over-tired SAHM

Monday, April 23, 2007

Finally at Peace

I don't have much time to write today, but I just wanted to say that my grandmother (who I blogged about last year here) passed away yesterday morning. She was a sweet woman who lived to the ripe old age of 90. She had 2 children, one who unfortunately pre-deceased her, 4 grandchildren and 7 great-grandchildren. She had only a 4th grade education but she taught me so much about how to live, love, and treat other people. She was a strong women, in an era when you didn't have to trod over other people to be strong. I think I only saw my grandmother cry twice in my entire life, both times over my mother.
The tears I shed yesterday and today are bittersweet, because although I miss my grandmother, I'm glad that she is no longer suffering. I'm glad that she is with my grandfather and my mother and all those others she lost before. She was the youngest of 9 children, 7 girls and 2 boys. I used to love to hear her stories of growing up on a farm in Cuba. Stories of how her older sister would voluntarily take her monthly dose of castor oil for her, stories of how she didn't learn to cook until she got married because she always had a sister to switch off cleaning for cooking when it was her turn, stories of what my mom was like as a child. So many stories in a rich full life.
I just wish my younger children had gotten the chance to know her like my older son, A. did. He's hurting today too but like me, he knows that we lost the women who was my grandmother years ago when the ravages of age and disease ate away at her mind. Now, at lest, she can finally be at peace.

Adios Abuela. Te Amo siempre.
(Goodbye Grandma, I love you always)

4 Comments:

  • At 1:03 PM, Blogger Biddie said…

    I am sorry for the sense of loss that you must be feeling today.
    Grandparents can enrich our lives like nobody else can. She sounds like a wonderful woman.

     
  • At 9:43 AM, Blogger ccw said…

    I am so sorry for your loss.

    You expressed something that I think frequently, I hope the grandparents live long enough for my young ones to remember. I think every child should have memories of a wonderful grandparent.

     
  • At 11:32 PM, Blogger Granny said…

    Death is not always the worst that can happen.

    I'm sorry for the loss of your wonderful grandmother but I too am glad she's at peace.

    Thank you for your recent comment. I'm way behind in my responses and I apologize for that.

     
  • At 3:40 PM, Blogger Elmwood said…

    it's been so long since I visited--I am so sorry for your loss, what a blessed strong woman she must have been to live until 90 that's wonderful!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Free Site Counter