LatherRinseRepeat--Yeah right

Ramblings of an over-worked, over-tired SAHM

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Surreal Week

Well, it's been a very interesting week around the L. household this week. Monday, in particular, was one of those nights that I think could only happen to me. Let me explain.

We've been working on potty training J because he's going to be 3 in a few months and, quite frankly, it's time he got with the program. So on Saturday morning, I announced that he was going to wear big boy training pants (those thick underwear that were all we had as training pants in the dark ages before pull ups) and he was going to use the potty. He seemed willing but after making him sit at the potty every 10 minutes for hours, we were getting nowhere, unless you count the pee I cleaned up from the floor of the playroom. So, I gave up, fed him lunch, put a diaper on him for his nap.

When he woke up from his nap, I hustled him straight to the potty where he managed to produce the desired results. Yay!! So we did the pee pee dance (needs no explanation for those of you who are moms. Those who aren't moms yet, you'll see the lengths you'll go to to get rid of diapers), waved goodbye to the pee pee when we flushed, gave high fives all around, and gave him skittles. He seemed pretty happy and excited and we were hopeful. But alas, the joy was short lived and after several more floor cleanings, I gave up, for now. Sunday, we didn't even mention the potty.

Monday evening, at dinner, J brought up the potty. We dismissed him it and thought we would just try over the long Labor Day weekend. In the bath that night, he again said he had to go potty. We told him not to do it in the tub, but otherwise ignored him.

When he was done brushing his teeth and we were trying to get him into pajamas, he again said he had to go potty. So, we figured he was going to sit there for 1.7 seconds and announce "it won't come out" like he usually does and then we could move on with bedtime. But we were wrong! He actually peed in the potty. All by himself. With no encouragement from us. Halleluiah!!!!!

So we were very excited, repeated all the same celebrations from Saturday afternoon, patted each other on the back that we were on our way to diaper free living and moved on with the bedtime ritual. N fell asleep pretty quickly. J didn't (note to self: skittles at 9pm, not such a good idea), but he was laying in bed quietly so I hoped he would fall asleep soon.

I was folding laundry in my bedroom and D was on the computer in the office at 9:45pm when J ran into the room, naked as the day he was born and announced, "I-did-pee-pee-in-the-potty-'gain-come-see" in that run on, don't take a breath way that only toddlers can, and ran back out of the room towards the bathroom with us in hot pursuit. Sure enough, he peed again, ALL BY HIMSELF. So we celebrated with him yet again, got him dressed again for bed and put him back in bed.

Repeat above scenario again four more times between 9:55pm and 10:30pm, culminating at 10:30pm with a very excited phone call from A announcing that he "received-a-bid-from-a-fraternity-tonight-and-I-really-like-this-one-its-the-one-I-was-hoping-to-join-and-they-like-me-and-I-think-I'm-going-to-join-it-I'm-so-excited" Did I say toddlers where the only ones that could talk in that run on, don't take a breath kind of way?? Maybe not.

Anyway, so that sums up my surreal Monday night. My youngest got the hang of potty training and my oldest joined a fraternity. Only me!!!

By the way, other than one not-so-small poopy accident at school Tuesday afternoon, J has been doing all his business in the potty with no accidents and announced to his teacher today, when he did poop in the potty at school, "I'm going to Disney World!!!". Seems a certain parent who was really desperate to get him out of diapers might have told him that if he wasn't wearing diapers anymore, we could go to Disney World. Wonder who that could have been? Oh well, wish me luck breaking it to D that we're going to Disney next weekend.

3 Comments:

  • At 5:58 PM, Blogger Elmwood said…

    that is such a cute story!!!
    kids kill me--they are so darn smart!

     
  • At 10:16 PM, Blogger zztop357 said…

    Well, with what you save on diapers
    maybe in a year or two you can go stand outside the gates at Disney.LOL
    Good luck on the pottie training. The oldest is doing ok I bet.Is Mama settling down some too?About the time you get in a routine, he will come home for a visit.
    Remember the saying,"You can never go home?" Well you can but its never the same. It gets better when you see they can stand on their on 2 feet. I know he will make you proud. Just wait and see.
    God bless, have a good week-end.
    Donna

     
  • At 5:22 PM, Blogger zztop357 said…

    *KNOCK* KNOCK*
    Any one home????
    Donna
    Just came bye to see you!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Free Site Counter