LatherRinseRepeat--Yeah right

Ramblings of an over-worked, over-tired SAHM

Monday, March 27, 2006

Weighing in on not weighing in

For those of you out in blog-land who haven't heard, there is quite a controversy going on about weight that all started with this post here

Then this other blogger commented on it over here

I'll let you read the posts yourself. All I will say is that apparently, these two posts have struck quite a nerve with many people out there. I suppose they have struck a bit of a nerve with me as well, but as I feel everyone is entitled to their opinion, I have not and will not attack them for their opinions. Unfortunately, not everyone is this respectful and both these women have been viciously attacked in the comments sections of their blogs.

The nastiness has also extended here to this blog to the point where this blogger (as well as the first blogger) has turned off comments in her blog. All these smart, witty women have been attacked and are deeply hurt by all this and that's just WRONG!!!

What makes anyone think it's OK to attack these women? What gives them the right? And if they don't see anything wrong with attacking, then why not have the freaking guts not to do it anonymously?? Fucking cowards!!!

Personally, yes I have weight issues. I met and married D. when I was at my lowest weight in well over a decade. After having two kids in less than 2 years and a bout with mono that never seems to go away, I weigh considerably more than when we met. So fucking what??!!! Does this make me less of a human being? Am I worth less as a person because I am overweight? Does this make my husband or my family love me anyless? Am I less worthy of that love because my pants size is larger now?? I don't think so and if anyone thinks I should, well, fuck you too.

I will not let a number on a scale, regardless of how high or low that number is, determine my worth as a person. So what if I don't have six pack abs or a tight ass that looks great in size 6 jeans? I like who I am inside and if anyone can't see past a few extra pounds to see the wonderful person I am inside, then they aren't worth my time or trouble.

That's me weighing in on not weighing in. Opinions anyone?




3 Comments:

  • At 12:55 PM, Blogger ccw said…

    I agree, if anyone likes or dislikes you or treats you differently because of your weight then they are not worth your time or energy.

     
  • At 5:00 PM, Blogger Granny said…

    Hi Ann (not granny)

    What a can of worms it opened. I did not agree with the writer of the post that started all this. I didn't, however, have any need to attack her as many of those commenters did (at least the ones who weren't busy attacking L.)

    Nice to run into another Ann. I haven't seen many (although we have lots of grannies).

    Come visit sometime if you feel like it.

    rocrebelgranny.blogspot.com

    Ann (aka granny) lol

     
  • At 5:55 PM, Blogger Krisco said…

    I agree with you; what matters most is how happy you are with youself as a person.

    Also, it's terrible that the internet attacked those women.

    I've never thought of what you "owe" your spouse in terms of weight, re MIM's post. I guess I figured "in sickness and in health" is sort of a catch all; like me skinny, like me fat... But I guess it is fair to your spouse to take as good of care of yourself as you can, but that includes all kinds of things - mental health, physical health, eating right...and not necessarily what you weigh, since staying thin is not a direct correlary to being healthy...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Free Site Counter