LatherRinseRepeat--Yeah right

Ramblings of an over-worked, over-tired SAHM

Thursday, March 02, 2006

Doggoneit!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did I mention we have 2 dogs??? Well, if this one dog keeps this up that may change. I suppose I should explain the dogs first and then I'll tell you what "this" is.
Dog #1 whom I'll call T. was D.'s dog before we got together, so I suppose you could say she was grandfathered in. She's a 12 year old pure bred Beagle who was blind in one eye when I met her. She had cataracts as a fairly young dog and D. had paid to have surgery done on one of her eyes figuring at over $1000 an eye, the dog could make due with seeing out of just the one eye. She is now blind in both eyes so it's not so amusing now when she runs into things like it used to be. This is seriously not the smartest dog in existance. Plus she has behavior problems. For instance, we can't have carpet in the house or even area rugs because she thinks anything soft on the floor serves the same purpose as grass. I'm sure you know what I mean by this. Also, she pukes anywhere and everywhere although it's usually on the couch (isn't that attractive?) or on the baby's playmat. She will also occasionally snap at me or the kids if we startle her or try to make her do something she doesn't like. She's never bitten precisely but has definitely put her teeth on us. Oh yeah, and before we leave the house we have to make sure the bedroom doors are closed so she can't go in there because she has occasionally used the beds for the same purpose as the rugs, if you know what I mean. (Gross, more on that later).All of which does not endear me to this dog in the least, but as I said, she was grandfathered in so I can't really do much about her. Yet.
Dog #2, S. just showed up on our doorstep one night, literally. I came home and as I pulled in the driveway, I saw a black dog on the front lawn. As I came around the car to go in the house, she bounded right up to the front porch and sat down on the welcome mat. As far as we can tell, she is part black lab and something smaller. She looks like a lab but is far shorter than any lab I know. She was in horrible shape when she showed up. She was so skinny you could see every rib, she was full of ticks and worms and had a bald spot on her rump that about six inches round. We fed her that night and took her to the vet in the morning. We spent close to $300 having her dipped and de-wormed and buying antibiotics for the skin infection. We kept her in the porch at first until all her medical issues resolved. We put an ad in the paper and flyers up to try to find her owner, to no avail. Someone had obviously spent some time training her because she would sit and shake on command. She is amazingly good with the kids. She will let my daughter, N. lay all over her, even lets her pretend she's her baby and cover her with a blanket. All in all very affectionate and a great dog, just something of a picky eater.
So, back to T. and what "this" is. Yesterday, I was getting ready to take the kids to M*mmy and me class. I was running around trying to get everyone ready to go, dumping the basket of unfolded laundry onto the bed to find socks that matched, reminding N. to go potty before we left, grabbing snack and drinks for the diaper bag, you know the usual hoops we all jump through trying to get out of the house with 2 toddlers. So, in the midst of all that chaos, I chased T. out of the bedroom and closed the door. Shortly thereafter, N. ran back into the bedroom for something and closed the door behind her and we left the house. Unfortunately, T. had followed her back into the bedroom. (You can see where this is headed, can't you?).
We got home a couple of hours of later and I put the kids down for a nap. While they were napping I checked my email and a few blogs I like to follow and eventually decided I should probably at least try to fold and put away the laundry I had dumped all over the bed earlier. So, there I am folding laundry, when I get a whiff of something very unpleasant. I sniff the shirt I'm folding but that's not it. I pick up a pair of shorts and they feel damp. ~oh crap~ I think. So I start feeling around the bed and sure enough I find the source of the dampness. T. had peed on the bed. But no, not just on the bed, but on the clothes, the bed and on the PILLOWS!! Huge, disgusting, smelly mess!!!!
Now to understand just how bad this was, you have to know just a little about me. I love my pillows!!! I mean, I travel with my pillows, everywhere. OK, not like I carry them around like L!nus or something but if I am staying overnight somewhere, my pillows go with me. They are comfortable and they fit my head and I can hug my pillows just right and well, you know what I mean. Don't you? Alright, I guess I might be a little neurotic about my pillows but I have very few neurosis so I think this is a rather harmless one in general. UNTIL NOW. See now my pillows are drenched in dog piss. Needless to say, you can't really wash pillows. Personally, I would just sew a new cover on my pillows about twice a year and that worked out pretty well. But THIS TIME, there was no saving the pillows. So, for the first time in let's just say this century (although it's far longer than that), I had to go out and buy new pillows last night.
I HATED IT!! None of the pillows felt "just right", they are too puffy or too soft or too NOT MY PILLOW. I hate to admit it but I actually cried as I bagged up the pillows to throw them out. So. I bravely picked out some new pillows and went home and dressed the bed and put pillowcases on my new pillows and laid them on the bed. UGH!! They didn't look right, they didn't feel right, I didn't sleep well on them and I woke up with a major headache. So, T. better just watch it because if she EVER does "this" again, she's outta here, grandfathered in or not.
By the way, anyone got any good ideas on how to break in pillows? I like a kinda flat sturdy pillow so I need to figure out how to un-poof these pillows. Any suggestions?
Thanks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Free Site Counter