LatherRinseRepeat--Yeah right

Ramblings of an over-worked, over-tired SAHM

Monday, February 26, 2007

My New Favorite Recipe

Well, I'm keeping my word about posting more often but I don't really have too much to say right now. I guess I'm in a bit of a creative slump. So, I thought I'd share my favorite new recipe. I made this for dessert at Thanksgiving and it was a huge hit. I've made it 3 more times since then and everyone that's tasted it just loves it.

So here it is. I was always a bit intimidated about making any kind of fruit pie because I was more used to baking cakes and cookies, but this was pretty easy and did I mention delicious? If you try it, let me know how you like it.

Crunchy Caramel Apple Pie

Ingredients:

1 ready to use pie crust (I like the Pillsbury Unroll and Bake pie crust)
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon salt
6 cups thinly sliced, peeled cooking apples
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/4 cup caramel ice-cream topping

Directions

Prepare pie crust per label directions into pie plate, being careful not to stretch pastry. Trim; crimp edge as desired.

For Crumb Topping, stir together brown sugar, 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, and the oats. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until the topping mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside.

In a large mixing bowl stir together the granulated sugar, 3 tablespoons flour, the cinnamon, and salt. Add apple slices and gently toss until coated. Transfer apple mixture to the pastry-lined pie plate. Sprinkle Crumb Topping over apple mixture.

To prevent overbrowning, cover edge of pie with foil. Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes more or until top is golden. Remove from oven; sprinkle pie with pecans, then drizzle with caramel topping. Cool on a wire rack.

2 Comments:

  • At 11:30 AM, Blogger Elmwood said…

    ann-I stopped by to say "hi" and I find that you ahve turned into the devil and tempted me with such a yummy treat!!! :)~

     
  • At 8:22 PM, Blogger Granny said…

    I bet even I could do that pie since it doesn't involve making a crust.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Free Site Counter